Pep Talk With Dedun: How To Start A Student Business

9:27:00 PM



A week goes by so fast it's unbelievable. I might get away with posting bi-weekly yeah? Hello beautiful people! I trust your week has been good. Finally, I'm writing on business.. and not just that but living the double life of being a student and an entrepreneur. I've said this a lot of times that before you jump into the hectic business life, get your academics on 'fleek'. I wrote a post on how to achieve that here.  Please be reminded this post is written from my experience of having a couple of businesses alongside being in medical school for the past seven years.

  • Why do you want to start a business? First and foremost, you need to have a motive for starting a business. Just like any other thing in life, running a business is not an easy task. If the drive isn't there, your business will fail before it starts. Do you want to do it because you are always broke? or perhaps because you don't get enough money to flex from home? or is it because Sikira is making it with her business and you want to be like her? My advice is, make sure you have a concrete and genuine reason before you start a business. and p.s, you do not have to be business oriented to start one. Anyone can learn, it just depends on your dedication and drive hence why you need a good motive. 
  • Do you have the time to commit to your business? Time time time! People always ask me how I find time to commit to my businesses but the truth is you have to sacrifice time! The time that could be spent going to visit a friend or following your friends to go shopping (assuming you are broke to shop.I mean i mentioned been broke can be a motive to start a business) or the time you've dedicated to watch series/play video games. All I'm saying is, we all have time to do something if we really make time for it. Nobody is too busy for success - Dedun but if you feel your school life is overwhelming, then don't start a business. Can't overemphasize that point. 
  • Do you have any lucrative business idea for your Uni environment or beyond? Anyone can start a business but what keeps a business is the unique component it brings. You have to stand out. So look around you, is someone else doing what you feel you can do best at? How do you switch it up and be different from that? Remember to always write down whatever idea it is no matter how silly it sounds. I've made mistakes many times when ideas come to me and I forget to write them down. That hurts, I can't even explain and sometimes it's gone forever. Important advice, whatever the idea is, it must have longevity potential. The goal is to have something that will go beyond your University. 
  • Have you done your research? Unique idea, time to commit, what's next is research. Bless the gods of internet because internet has helped a lot of businesses! Internet should be your best friend. Research on how you can start this business with little to no capital, execution and planning. If your business idea is related to a skill, read up and watch videos about it. 
  • Do you know someone that has achieved what you want? One of the reasons I resumed my blog was because a couple of people messaged me asking for advice on business and I'm one to share if you ask. I live by that "Ask and it shall be given to you" verse. "Never be afraid to ask no matter how stupid you think the question is", my Mum always said. If there are people around you that you think can be helpful, message them, politely of course, not in a demanding kind of way, or approach them whenever you see them. They can always guide you and advice.
  • Learn, Practice and Repeat. I believe after you've done your research, you would be aware of areas you are lacking. Remember you have to start with a wow factor! Nobody likes mediocre well except your true friends that will support whatever you do regardless but they are not your true friends if they don't tell you what you are doing wrong. I digress. So have a test run, practice, fail, repeat till you get it right. Learn new techniques and download resources that can help. Be ready to learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't be a lazy business owner always shoving the same thing down your client's throat.
  • Don't be afraid to start small. Now you've gotten your stuff together, gingered and ready to conquer the business world but you don't have the capital! I'm certain you didn't plan this business in just a day so while researching, learning and practicing, remember to put a few coins aside towards that goal or if you have savings (how to save posted here) , take a little out of it and dedicate towards the business. Never be afraid to start small. 
And that's it folks. Part 2 of the series ends here. I will elaborate more on the last point in Part 3. You can follow me here and share please. End your week perfectly. God's blessings 


xoxo
Dedun


You Might Also Like

0 comments

You know I'd love to hear from you. Please comment. Mwah

Footer